Fear and tension have spread across parts of Oyo State after armed men reportedly attacked schools in the Oriire area, abducting teachers and several pupils during a violent invasion.
Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed on Sunday that at least seven teachers were kidnapped during the attack, while authorities are still trying to determine the exact number of missing pupils.
The governor also revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the incident, describing the situation as painful and deeply troubling.
Six Suspects Arrested
Following emergency security meetings with military commanders and other security agencies, Makinde disclosed that six suspects had already been arrested within the affected community.
According to him, three additional persons of interest were also taken into custody as investigations continue.
Preliminary intelligence reports reportedly suggest that some of those arrested may have acted as informants for the attackers.
“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants,” the governor stated.
“Terrorists Are Moving Southward”
Makinde warned that increased military pressure on terrorists and bandits in Northern Nigeria could be forcing armed groups to move toward southern states.
According to him, states in the South must now strengthen security and prepare for possible attacks from criminals fleeing military operations in the North-West.
“With the pressure on the terrorists and bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” Makinde said.
The governor added that discussions were ongoing with leaders from other states over the growing security threat.
Government Engaging Religious Leaders
Makinde stressed that the state government would not rely only on military force to solve the crisis.
He said the government had already begun consultations with community leaders, elders, and religious bodies, including the Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools belongs to the church.
According to him, a non-violent approach involving local leaders could help improve intelligence gathering and community cooperation.
Families Waiting For Good News
The governor appealed to residents to remain calm and assured affected families that efforts were ongoing to rescue the victims safely.
“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” he assured.
Makinde also announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to keep residents informed about rescue operations and security developments.
The latest incident has once again raised concerns over growing insecurity in parts of Nigeria, especially attacks targeting schools and rural communities.
ALSO READ:“45 Pupils Abducted” — Panic As Gunmen Attack Schools In Oyo Communities

No comments:
Post a Comment
Join the conversation by leaving a comment below. Keep it respectful, relevant, and on-topic - we love hearing from our readers!