The ongoing trial of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, resumed on Tuesday at the Federal High Court in Abuja with fresh revelations surrounding an alleged intercepted conversation involving Nigeria’s National Security Adviser.
During the hearing, a prosecution witness told the court that the NSA, Nuhu Ribadu, and the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission both confirmed the authenticity of a conversation allegedly referenced by El-Rufai during a television interview.
The Federal Government is prosecuting El-Rufai on an amended five-count charge bordering on alleged unlawful interception of communications and threats to national security under the Cybercrimes Amendment Act 2024.
Arise TV Interview Played In Court
As part of the proceedings, prosecutors played a 43-minute interview El-Rufai granted on Arise Television.
In the interview, El-Rufai allegedly claimed that a private conversation involving Ribadu had been intercepted and sent to him.
According to the prosecution witness, investigators later questioned Ribadu, who reportedly confirmed that the conversation mentioned by El-Rufai actually happened between him and the ICPC chairman.
The ICPC chairman also reportedly confirmed the discussion after parts of the interview were played to him.
“Governments Monitor Conversations” — Prosecutors
The prosecution further told the court that during the interview, El-Rufai defended the alleged interception by saying governments around the world routinely monitor communications.
Investigators also questioned:
• TV anchor Charles Aniagolu
• Activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju
• An Arise TV cameraman identified as Ugochukwu Agalayana
Statements from the individuals were admitted by the court as evidence.
The prosecution claimed investigators concluded that El-Rufai made an “open confession” during the interview and that the act could undermine national security.
Defence Pushes Back
However, under cross-examination, El-Rufai’s lawyer, Chief Paul Erokoro (SAN), challenged the investigation.
The prosecution witness admitted that investigators:
• Did not examine the NSA’s communication devices
• Did not obtain IP addresses
• Did not conduct forensic analysis on any alleged interception
The witness also agreed that El-Rufai never directly stated he personally carried out the interception.
Despite this, the witness maintained that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.
When asked whether El-Rufai might simply have been making political statements during a heated television appearance, the witness replied that he considered the former governor “a man of integrity” and believed he meant what he said.
Court Adjourns Case
Following the day’s proceedings, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned the matter until June 22 and 23 for continuation of hearing.
The case has already sparked major reactions online, with many Nigerians debating whether the charges are about national security or politics ahead of the 2027 elections.
ALSO READ: “I’m Not Afraid of Jonathan” — Peter Obi Speaks on 2027 Presidential Race

No comments:
Post a Comment
Join the conversation by leaving a comment below. Keep it respectful, relevant, and on-topic - we love hearing from our readers!